At 27, I still havent found Mr Right. So here's the challenge - 365 dates, in the shortest possible time! This is my collection of my funny, weird and hopefully fruitful attempts at “finding Mr Right”..

Location: My city - Johannesburg- multicultural, diverse, exciting..he must be somewhere here right?


Monday, August 9, 2010

Cheaper than Therapy

For the past two years Ive had a membership at the Melrose Arch Virgin Active gym..but wait..before you rag on me for being a kugel..its a great gym, with (yes) a premium price, but a small intimate community - just my scene. Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came...etc etc.



To be honest, Ive been going to the gym more for the points I get on my Discovery vitality status than for being fit. I'm in pursuit of the exclusive "Diamond" status.  Yes I know,  its just a lot of marketing crap designed to target the uber-competitive individuals, like myself...but hey..when I'm on diamond status and flying kulula at 35% discounts, we'll see who will be laughing then!


I figure the gym is a good place to meet new people and work off a bit of stress at the same time.  With that in mind I decided to do an hour long class called "Step and Tone".  I was the youngest, by at least 10years, of the five other people in the class...this was gonna be a breeze..or so I thought.


Turns out "Step and Tone" is a Nazi-style, INTENSE WORK-OUT!  Not exactly the kinda thing for someone who enjoys afternoon naps.   I think an entrance requirement to the class should be a full medical including ECGs. Our instructor Lila, was wonderful and super sweet..she was so encouraging and turned a blind eye to the numerous times I was out of step, gasping and panting, and the two occasions I played dead.


I have a new-found respect for the men and women of that class - being healthy and fit is no longer something I associate with youth.  Didn't really stay to chat to the other people in the class afterwards, although they were all very sympathetic to my state - instead I rushed home to spend, what I thought were, my dying moments on the phone with my mum.


I hope to be better next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment