At 27, I still havent found Mr Right. So here's the challenge - 365 dates, in the shortest possible time! This is my collection of my funny, weird and hopefully fruitful attempts at “finding Mr Right”..

Location: My city - Johannesburg- multicultural, diverse, exciting..he must be somewhere here right?


Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bigamy is having one husband too many. Some say monogamy is the same.


Day 10:  


Today, after work, I went to Dr Friend's birthday supper.

I joined 8 of my friends at Ghazal, an Indian restaurant in Sunninghill.  The fact that Kenny G played in the background and our waiter spoke to us mainly in Zulu,only slightly detracted from the, otherwise, Indian experience.

Dr Friend and I met as naive first-years at university 10 years ago.  We are both Witsies, and lived together at JCE for a year.   We have been the best of friends ever since.  There is an unbreakable bond that exists between us, based on intellect and bad res food.  We left Wits with post-graduate degrees and a promise to ourselves to eat well!

Dr Friend works tirelessly at one of the public hospitals in Joburg, so we don't get to see each other as often as we used to.  Most of us at the table were single..I mentioned that I had been dating "a bit"... so started the horror stories of disastrous relationships, to be summed up as follows..

1.   The time he broke off the engagement months before the wedding to marry someone else he had met two weeks prior.
2.  The time he didn't tell anyone he was married..
3.  The time he brought his new girlfriend home, even before she moved out.
4.  The time he wanted to shack up with his secretary
5.  The time he went down to Durban for two days and came back with a new car and the gift that keeps on giving..syphilis.

Each story was trumped by the next.  I seriously reconsidered my whole dating idea, and wondered whether it was better to resign myself to being single but syphilis-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment